Friday, December 4, 2009

Beyond the Sales of the Season

"He who has not Christmas in his heart will never find it under a tree."
~Roy L. Smith



I’ve heard it said that the holiday season can be equal to madness. From shopping to spending to eating, this is the “biggest” time of the year. The advertising that surrounds us tells us bigger is more and louder is better for practically everything on the consumer market. Our society emphasizes excess-to the extreme-and it’s easy to get caught up in all of it. Overspending temptations bombard me at every corner. Television, radio, mail advertisements, sale papers, magazines…Each screaming “Sale! 50% Off! Save Today!” As a self-confessed shopaholic, I admit I fight the urge to whip out the plastic to pay for Christmas gifts. I could attempt to justify my weakness by rationalizing how I got a really great deal since the item was, after all, “On Sale”. While sales are great, I have to be realistic and stay within my budget. I would love to shower my family and friends with expensive and unique gifts, but they understand I can’t. After all, that’s not the real meaning of Christmas anyway.

Whatever you do this season, whatever your traditions are, I hope that each and every one will remember what Christmas is truly about. Christmas is more than a sale, a dinner, a party, or a present wrapped in frilly bows. It’s about the birth of Jesus. And while retail and some politicians try to shut Christ out of Christmas, they will only be successful if we allow them to be.



So what can I do to let loved ones know they are loved without expensive gifts and without breaking the bank? Of course I’ll still buy some presents this Christmas, but here are a few ideas I have that we can all do to remember the true meaning of Christmas.

1. Pray. Thank God for sending His Son who died for us. That’s a good starting point. After that, thank Him for our blessings. When we think about it, that’s a really long list.
2. Share the story of Christmas with a friend. Invite them to attend your church for the Christmas play or cantata. You never know when God will use you to plant a seed in someone else’s life. After Christmas, invite that friend to church again.
3. Call a loved one. Do more than send a card this year. Even if you haven’t talked to someone in your family in a while, reach out and tell them how much they are loved. We never know when they’ll be gone for good.
4. Read the Christmas story as a family. Gather the kids, make hot chocolate, sit by the fire, and open the Bible. Enjoy the time together and thank God as a family.
5. Volunteer. Pick a charity and get involved. Ring a bell, cook a meal, or visit a shut-in. Christmas is the perfect time to spread cheer, but we can only do that by being around people. Remember that money wastes away but the time we spend helping someone can have a lasting impact on that life.



As the Christmas season approaches, I hope we can all avoid the “madness” of the season and use every opportunity we can to spread some “gladness.” Merry Christmas everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment