Friday, September 25, 2009

Teaching Philosophy

On the days which seem too tough to make it through, I will remember that God never gives us a problem we can’t overcome, and I will read this to remind me why I am a teacher in the first place…

Before you read another word, I think it is necessary to preface this post by saying it is a rough draft, so to speak, about what type of teacher I want to be. I’ve been asked to put it into writing… my teaching philosophy… an examination of my strategies and beliefs as an educator. It would be a lie for me to say that everything written here is the final product, the revised and edited version, the end of my thinking about the type of teacher I want to be. In fact, I think of my teaching philosophy as a bucket that never fills; a bank to which I can constantly add information, and use for reflection. I have learned from experiences in classrooms, both good and bad, and feel there is much more to learn. I believe that teaching will take great courage, that teaching will be a learning process for me and my students, and that I am about to encounter some of the biggest challenges I have ever faced in my lifetime.

My beliefs as an educator have been forming and developing over the last two years. I once had a professor tell me, “Be the student you want to teach.” I took it to heart and have tried to be the best student I could be, all the time realizing that my own success behind the desk will not be the only thing that is important when I step in front of the rows of desks to teach. Yet, the past two years as a student have been the time for me to grow, and push myself to the limits in an atmosphere that fostered critical thinking and engagement with the world around me. During this time, I have reexamined old beliefs with a new set of eyes, made adjustments in my thinking when necessary, and come through with a firmer set of beliefs and standards not just for the classroom, but for everyday living. As I have recently entered the high school English classroom, I have been asked to apply theory to practice, develop strategies for student success, and tackle the difficulties of classroom management.

I hope to empower my students to make real-life connections to the curriculum. I want them to see that writing is a way to develop a powerful voice that is often heard for generations to come. Literature is the eye for studying the human spirit and examining people from far off places. But sometimes, literature is the most effective when it becomes the eye which helps us see the person who is right next door. I believe that only through such connections will the content of the English classroom become applicable to the lives of students and form its own meaning within the individual.

So how do I help students make these connections? I believe the meaning to be gained from the content is unique for each student, but I can model my own reading, writing, and thinking strategies for students. I do not believe it is my job to tell students what to think, but I can model for them how to think. What I mean by this is that I can model problem-solving skills, present collaborative projects, and mediate peer-to-peer debate and discussions in the classroom. I can help them make these connections by constantly asking myself: What is it that my students need the most? How can I make the content interesting to them? What is it I want my students to learn? How will I assess their knowledge? Do my students really understand what is being asked of them? I believe that constant reflection of my own teaching strategies is necessary to ensure that I am meeting the needs of my diverse students. Reflection is essential for me to be able to figure out what works and what doesn’t, and how I can change to make it work.

I want my students to understand that the skills being taught in my classroom are beyond the word “English”. It is my job to teach students the four Language Arts: Reading, Writing, Thinking, and Speaking. I believe that these four skills are powerful tools that aid the individual in a lifelong process of learning and self discovery. No matter what path a person chooses for his life, these skills are necessary to navigate in the world, build relationships with others, and succeed on any scale or area in life.

I want to be a teacher because it is the greatest opportunity to impact the lives of many people in a positive way. This impact will not be by force or conformity, not by pushing my values and beliefs on others, but by using literature, language, and the written word as tools to empower students to become all they dream they can be. On the days which seem too tough to make it through, I will remember that God never gives us a problem we can’t overcome, and I will read this to remind me why I am a teacher in the first place…

No comments:

Post a Comment