Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Inspiring Teachers


“The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires.”
~William Arthur Ward


We all have people in our lives that have inspired us to become who we are today. I believe that true inspiration continues throughout our lives, giving us something to reflect on; keeping us in check to make sure we continue on the path for where we want to be tomorrow.

Lately I’ve been thinking of those teachers who have inspired me, what was different about them, and what type of teacher I want to be. Here is a list of teachers whose words and actions have traveled with me beyond the beyond the classroom.

• Mrs. Pamela Drews
Kindergarten teacher
Lakeside Elementary
She created an atmosphere of learning and creativity in her classroom that was fun and memorable.

• Mrs. Candy Smith
6th grade Language Arts
Holmes Middle School
We created a time capsule which consisted of anything we could stuff in a manila envelope. From 6th grade until graduation, Mrs. Smith kept the time capsules in her attic. When we graduated we opened them to find all of our “treasures” and a letter from our teacher. Her letter was filled with words of wisdom that I still have and still pull out and read to this day. That letter has helped me find my direction when my way was lost more than once.

• Mrs. Angie Smart
Morehead High School
I wasn’t actually in a “class” with Mrs. Smart, but this lady took the time to notice a scared and confused teenager who roamed the halls. She took the time to sit and listen to the things I had to say without ridicule or criticism. When I was about to give up and drop out of high school, she stepped in and gave me encouragement. I am convinced that her reassuring words and confidence in me are one of the reasons I did walk across the stage and receive my diploma.

• Mr. Phil Conte
English I and American Literature
Rockingham Community College
Mr. Conte gave me my first and only “C” on a paper my freshman year of college. I learned a lot from that paper. I thought I could write before, because I always did well in writing. But, Mr. Conte showed me that writing is not easy or trivial. One must work hard at writing and he made me realize the hard work was worth the end result.

• Mrs. Donna Shumate
American Literature
Rockingham Community College
It was in her class, while giving a presentation on Huckleberry Finn, that I realized I wanted to teach literature! She inspired me to think of literature as “the study of the human condition” and I finally began to make real-life connections to the material I was reading.

• Dr. Jeanie Reynolds
The Teaching of Writing
UNCG
Dr. Reynolds pushed me to think of myself as a writer. She also inspired me to do something about it. She redefined the journal for me and introduced me to what is my greatest tool as a writer: the Daybook. I now realize that in order to teach writing effectively, I must constantly reflect on my own writing process.

• Dr. Jewel Cooper
Diverse Learners
UNCG
Dr. Cooper challenged me to examine my views on difficult and often uncomfortable subjects, all so that I could grow as a person and a future educator. She also told me, “No more tears until graduation day.” I admire her grace, her poise, and the attention her presence commands in the classroom.

• Dr. Amy Vetter
Methods and Instruction
UNCG
Dr. Vetter’s love for teaching is apparent in each lesson. The activities and methods of instruction she models always leave me with a sense that “I can do this too.”

I hope I can one day influence the lives of my students as these teachers have influenced me. I know that because I sat behind the desk in their classroom, or in some cases, their office where I cried, I am a better person, student, and teacher. So, who has inspired you? Tell me about it…

2 comments:

  1. AMAZING! Thank goodness for Angie Smart. One student. One connection. I have a feeling you will be a "Mrs. Smart" for many HS students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you met Angie or you wouldn't have met all the other people who have made a difference in your life. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete