Sunday, September 13, 2009

From there to here...

"I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble."
~Helen Keller


From the time I was a little girl who used to line stuffed animals up in chairs and play school, I knew I wanted to be a teacher. I have always loved to read and I have kept some form of a journal since I was 10 years old, filling the pages with poems, narratives, and quotes, song lyrics, and scraps of paper with words that meant something to me. I grew up on stage performing in dance competitions and dramas, so the arts have always been a part of my life. I traveled doing construction work for five years after high school and learned many things including the values of hard work, independence, family, and a small town. I returned to my roots not because I failed out in the world, but because I could finally see what was here all along. My experiences have led me full circle and I have found a purpose and direction for my life. I look forward to teaching high school in Rockingham County, hopefully at the same high school that I attended. I want to make an impact where it matters to me the most: around my home and in the lives of teenagers. I am eager to help young people develop reading, writing, thinking, and speaking skills that will help them function as adults and be beneficial throughout their lives, no matter where their lives may lead them. I plan to work both inside and outside of the classroom with my students, fellow teachers, and parents to expand the programs and opportunities that are available to students in my community.

English is such a wonderful opportunity to allow students to explore and analyze the world around them through literature, theatre, and writing! While teaching English, I will encourage my students to become active in their community. I feel that service work is very important and it helps individuals grow into productive citizens who are able to contribute to the active and changing world around them. In the past, I have worked with the Rockingham County Literacy Project, YMCA's Empty Stocking Fund, and I volunteered with the Salvation Army for the summer of 2007.

I discovered my most passionate volunteer cause in 2007 when I adopted my dog Sophie from the Rockingham County Humane Society. Sophie became my most faithful running partner and I began volunteering there once I saw the impact this organization has on the lives of so many animals. I also saw the desperate need for money, volunteers, and supplies. I wanted to do more to help animals like Sophie. On May 30, 2009, the first Paws-n-Claws 5k Race and Fun Walk was held to benefit the Humane Society. I organized and directed this event which raised over $6,000 for abandoned and neglected animals in my community. It was a wonderful experience to combine my love of running and animals to do something good for the community.



(This is a photo of runners who heldped raise money for the animals.)

Over 150 people attended the event, including volunteers from local high schools. It was a great experience for me because I had the opportunity to work with city officials, business owners, and people in my county while planning the event. I met with high school principles to find ways to get students involved and enjoyed working with teenagers who volunteered their time and efforts. I also met with a group of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade girls participating in a program called "Girls on the Run." The program was founded by a North Carolina woman who felt like running had helped her deal with many of the problems that teenage girls face. It is a 12 week course that combines character education, community service, and life lessons with training to run a 5k.



(These are some of the young ladies from "Girls on the Run")

These girls and the other student volunteers I have met have provided me with much inspiration because I see the eagerness they have to learn and contribute so they can make a difference in their community. So you see, my career as a teacher has already begun, even though I am still earning my degree. When working with these young people, I know that I am working with children who might one day be in my classroom as students, and I know without a doubt that I have chosen the right career path. I know that even my experiences outside of the classroom are helping me prepare for the day that I am a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment