Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I run for life, too.


I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillippians 4:13









If you ask her why she is still running,
She'll tell you it makes her complete.
I run for hope, I run to feel
I run for the truth, for all that is real
I run for your mother, your sister, your wife
I run for you and me my friend
I run for life.
--Melissa Etheridge
“I Run For Life”


At least once a week, someone asks me, “Why do you RUN? Of all things, WHY running?” So, I think it’s time I answer that question and put it in writing…

Most people I know think running is one form of exercise that is, well, “for the birds”, or for anyone other than themselves. And that’s all right; I just hope that everyone has something in their lives that motivates them. Everyone needs something that moves them, both physically and emotionally. Running does just that for me. I run because God has blessed me with the ability to do so. I remember very well the car wreck that caused me to lose the use of my legs seven years ago. I remember the hard year of surgeries, physical therapy, weight gain, depression, and loneliness. I thank God He saw fit to pull me out of the chaos my life was in during that time. So every time I lace up my running shoes, kick a soccer ball in the yard with my daughter, slow dance in my living room with my husband, push the pedal to drive myself to school, or ride a bicycle down a country road with my dad, I thank God that He gave me a second chance. Running helps me see my body as more than a number on a scale or a size on a tag. Running reminds me to treat my body well, because it’s the only one I have and the only one I’ll get.

Running is unique in that it is the one thing I do for myself, yet I can use it for the greater good, to make a small impact in the lives of many, and hopefully, inspire those around me. So how do I accomplish this? The answer is simple: I sign up for races that benefit charities. I plan races to benefit charities. I encourage others around me to MOVE. (You might not like to run, but you can walk!)

When I sign up for a race that supports cancer research, animals, education, adult literacy, or any other charity, I take it seriously and I push myself to train hard. When race day comes and I step up to the starting line, all those around me become a blur and the only competition lies within me. Winning a race is never my goal. I am not the fastest and I can’t go the farthest, but I CAN GO! I am just thankful and happy I can! And in those moments of the race I test my personal strength both physically and mentally. And if I ever feel I can’t make it, I remember how far I’ve come in life and that God still has plans for me.

As I cross the finish line, I have a special feeling that you can only get when you work really hard for something. Not just anything, but something you believe in. Not just yourself, but for others. Something to "pay it forward." There is strength in the individual, but there is more strength in the power of many. I get a sense of accomplishment and pride when think that “little old me” can come together with so many others to raise funds for organizations that focus on reaching out to those in the community. And there, at every finish line, are the smiling faces of my husband and my daughter, cheering me on, showing their support and love, and reminding me how much I am blessed.

So what gets you moving? Whether your cause is a cure for cancer, animal rights, education, political freedom, the whales and the dolphins, or whatever it might be…Find it. Hold on to it. Let it move you. And see where it takes you…

1 comment: