Saturday, March 27, 2010

Kappa Delta Pi Induction

On March 24, 2010, I was inducted into Kappa Delta Pi, International Honor Society in Education. I worked hard for this achievement and it is an honor that I take very seriously both as a life long student of learning and as an educator. My husband and daughter were there to share in this special moment with me. Just as I accepted my certificate and pin, Lydia ran up to greet me. (She later told me that she thought they were giving me candy because the pin was still wrapped in a piece of plastic.) I accepted my certificate and a copy of the Society's Creed. The creed will be framed and hang on the wall of my classroom. What an awesome reminder of the privilege, opportunity, honor, and responsibility of being a teacher. I am proud to be a member of Kappa Delta Pi and I hope that practicing and reflecting on these ideals will help me to be the best educator I can be.

Kappa Delta Pi
International Honor Society in Education
Society Creed

Education is a vital force in any society that encourages universal welfare and individual progress. Education is likewise the cornerstone of democracy and the foundation for personal fulfillment. As an International Honor Society in Education, Kappa Delta Pi has adopted and continues to pledge fidelity to four cherished ideals: Humanity, Science, Service, and Toil.

The Ideal of Fidelity to Humanity is faith in the potential of human beings and in the improvement of the human condition through education; compassion in the contacts one has, as an educator, with humanity; and dedication to the concept that through continuous education, based upon equal opportunity. Persons of all ages, races, and creeds shall find increased opportunity for experiencing more meaningful lives.

The Ideal of Science implies that, as an educator, one will be faithful to the cause of free inquiry and will strive to eliminate prejudice and superstition by withholding judgment until adequate evidence is obtained. One will not distort evidence to support a favorite theory; be blinded by the new or spectacular; nor condemn the old simply because it is old.

The Ideal of Service is the very essence of education, which seeks advancement, not merely for self, but for society as well. The incentive of the great educators of the world has been their desire to serve humanity. Service in education implies living so that others are strengthened and inspired, and striving for the achievement of justice, peace, and a better way of life.

The Ideal of Toil demands the will to do the task that must be done, whether the task pleases or not, and faith in the social necessity and intrinsic reward of the education profession. It implies working with such faith and zeal that others are won to the cause of education. If one life has been given greater and nobler vision, toil has not been in vain.

So to Teach that my words and actions inspire a will to learn; so to serve that each day may enhance the growth of exploring minds; so to live that I may guide young and old to know the truth and love the right.

By accepting membership in Kappa Delta Pi, I have indicated my intention to achieve excellence and to subscribe to these ideals.
Amanda Rorrer
March 24, 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment