Saturday, April 3, 2010

Forgiveness

“Forgiveness is the economy of the heart…forgiveness saves the expense of anger, the cost of hatred, the waste of spirits.” ~Hannah Moore

I’ve been thinking a lot about forgiveness lately. It’s something that isn’t always easy. I’ve noticed that people of all ages and backgrounds seem to cling to hurt and wrongdoings in some form or fashion. I’ve also noticed that the impact is greater and has the potential to be the most negative when we are hurt by those who are closest to us. And, those we love the most are often the hardest to forgive.

Sometimes the things we need to forgive are greater than one simple thought, action, or deed. Sometimes it’s a series of actions or inactions that hold us back, weigh us down, and ultimately prevent us from leading the quality of life that God would have us lead. When we allow the weeds of animosity and anger to fester in our hearts, it grows fast, and before we realize, it can affect every aspect of our lives.

Isaiah 49:16 says, “Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.” This verse reminds me that God loved me and sent His Son to die on the cross so that I could have the security of eternal salvation and be forgiven of my sins. I interpret the “walls” in this verse to mean any obstacle in life. God has forgiven me, but if I fail to forgive others, those walls can easily become obstacles between me and God. I didn’t make this up, Matthew 6:14-15 says so. If I expect my Heavenly Father to forgive me, then I must forgive others. I need God’s forgiveness on a daily basis, so I had better be about the business of forgiveness.

How often do we ask for God’s forgiveness, yet continue to cling to those little disturbances imposed by others in our daily lives? How often do we ourselves need to be forgiven, but harbor feelings of resentment towards others?

This Easter, I will remember that it was for my sins that Christ was crucified. I will celebrate my Savior’s resurrection and remember the ultimate example of love and forgiveness from my Heavenly Father. I pray that I will be able to forgive others and receive forgiveness when needed. I hope that anyone reading this will do the same. Forgiveness is, after all, an act of love. We cannot have one without the other, and it takes both to survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment