Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Where I'm From

Where Are You From?
"If you don't know where you're from, you'll have a hard time saying where you're going." ~Wendell Berry
We need to understand our roots to know our place in the world.

Since my students and I will be writing Where I'm From poems in class this week, I thought I would repost one of my old ones. This one focuses on memories from Dad's side of the family. I love to introduce this poem as a neat way to get students thinking and writing about things they have personal connections to. It's really awesome to see them take the template and make it their own. It's a great way to get to know students and gain insight into their lives.

Here's where I am from...
I am from fun-shaped pancakes, Nike before it was Nike Air, punchbowl cake and coffee, tin foil, and hose pipes.

I am from the white house with green shutters, the playhouse where I made mud pies with red berries and invited Daddy in for tea, and the living room where we broke the Atari joystick playing Pac Man.

I am from the angel trumpets in my grandmother's garden and the bushes of peonies that lined Daddy's sidewalk.

I am from the ghost stories of Coleman Street and a long line of dancers, from Grandma Elsie and her son Timmy, from honesty, hard work, and hugs given daily.

I am from stubbornness and those who speak their minds, from the holiday gatherings where I laughed with cousins as a child and cried with the same ones when Nannie died.

From "you're my favorite horse if you don't ever win a race" and "Don't take no wooden nickels." I'm from the "Sunny Side of the Street."

I am from the Methodists who sing all 4 verses of the hymn on Sunday morning and the Baptists who believe the Creation Story is no myth and that God is in control.

I am from Eden, the Wright brother's, the authentic First in Flight. From Nannie's orange Slice drink in a bottle on a hot summer day and Daddy's salmon cakes poppin' in their own grease on the stove.

From the soldier who served in Desert Storm when I was in the 5th grade, that feisty woman with the poofy white hair, and the woman who raised me like I was her own daughter.

I am from those who rest permanently on a hill off Sneed Road, the pictures I have to remember them by, from a father who tells me I am his hero, when really he is mine.

3 comments:

  1. Amanda,

    I love the poem you wrote! I think this is a great activity for your students and as you said, to provide insight for you as the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you wrote this, and how it tells about the good times and some of the bad times you have had with your family. It shows how much you do love and care for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda I so very proud of you. love ya!! DAD

    ReplyDelete