Friday, January 1, 2010

Teaching into 2010


“The illiterate of the 21st century will not be those who cannot read and write but those who cannot learn, unlearn, and relearn.”
~Alvin Toffler


Well, if you’re reading this, it means that 2010 is finally here. 2009 will soon be a distant memory. It was a great year for me; I had some tough times and struggles, but these were outnumbered by far with blessings. I usually start the year out with a few resolutions--nothing over the top, just the usual stuff—reactivate and stick to my work out plan (I find I tend to slack off a little over the holidays), eat healthier, go to bed earlier, be more organized, etc. I lead a pretty healthy life and avoid risky behaviors, so I try to use New Years as a chance to refocus and evaluate the impact of healthy habits.

I avoid trying to set far reaching goals that are impractical or unattainable. I’d rather focus on a few mini goals like stepping stones to where I want to be. Since 2005 I have been attending college to become a high school English teacher. My husband and I have counted down the semesters to graduation with each passing year. This year marks a new beginning for me as I complete the final phase of this level of my education and make the transition from student to teacher. I have been granted a new opportunity as I step into the classroom and fill my new role as “student –teacher”. I have the chance to see young minds develop before my eyes, activate imaginations and possibilities, and give dreams that gentle push they need to one day become reality.

Teaching is not a right I am earning by virtue of the degree I will receive in May. Teaching is a privilege; it is a lifestyle and a way of life. This year the new leaf I turn over will be one of discovery in the classroom; an opening of the possibilities that lie before me and my students. I am excited and eager to see young minds in action and hear their unique stories. This year will not be about what “I” can do. Instead, it will be about what “they”, my students, can do.


Some veterans in the field of education might say that my inexperience makes me over confident or that I’ll soon find out what’s really in store when I get there. But I think life experience has value and that I am at the perfect point in my life to begin a teaching career. Everything experienced before now has brought me to this point. I have trained and studied hard. There have been many late nights, long papers, and difficult tests…both the written kind and the kind you cannot see. I place a high value on education as well. I have seen the impact of an education and the lack of one on friends and family members. Although he was a smart man, my grandfather could not read or write. But I will be his first grandchild to earn a bachelor’s degree. Surely I am where I am today, in part, because a teacher, -- especially a few college professors-- believed in me. These are not just words, but truth. I intend to lead by the example set before me and I believe in my students. I am grateful for the privilege to teach and learn in 2010. I cannot wait to see what wonders lie ahead.

1 comment:

  1. Amanda, I am very excited for you and your family as you enter this phase of your life!! Nobody deserves this more than you!! I hope my children have the opportunity to have you for their teacher!!!

    P.J.

    ReplyDelete