Monday, October 12, 2009

Visit to the Pumpkin Patch

"A fallen leaf is nothing more than a summer’s wave good bye." ~Unknown



Every year, my husband and I take Lydia to the pumpkin patch to pick out our pumpkin to carve for Halloween. Each year the trip is more fun because Lydia looks forward to picking out her very own pumpkin. This morning, when we set out to select our pumpkin, there was a chill in the air and I was reminded that Fall is really here. So, I’ve selected some poems to get everyone in the mood for Fall. I hope you enjoy the pictures we took today as well.

Lydia always likes to pose and have her picture taken among the colorful mums. As I took this picture, I was reminded of the following poem by Robert Frost. Until today, I had always thought of this poem as a Spring poem, but I now realize it applies to the gold colors found in nature during any season.




Nothing Gold Can Stay
by Robert Frost

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold,
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Here's another fall poem by Emily Dickinson. Emily has been my favorite poet since I was a teenager. I love the way she uses personification in her poem to describe the changes in nature taking place as Autumn approaches. Her poem reminds me that I am not the only one who feels the need to grab a jacket sometimes...

The morns are meeker than they were,
The nuts are getting brown;
The berry’s cheek is plumper,
The rose is out of town.

The maple wears a gayer scarf,
The field a scarlet gown.
Lest I should be old-fashioned,
I’ll put a trinket on.
~Emily Dickinson

1 comment:

  1. I always look forward toward to it as well. Each year Lydia seems to be more into things.

    ReplyDelete